Wearing braces can be a bummer, but Halloween is a great time to take advantage of the situation. There are a lot of cool ideas for Halloween costumes with braces out there where you can show off your individuality without breaking the bank. Tap into your inner designer! Creating your own Halloween costume is not only fun, but you can add your own unique spin on classics. Here are two fun costume ideas that you should try this Halloween.
The Nerdy Girl – Channel your inner nerd with this simple, yet fun Halloween look.
What You’ll Need:
- Start out with a white cotton blend button down shirt. If you choose to go with a print, make sure that the pattern is small. For example, you can easily find a shirt with small squares or polka dot pattern.
- Buy a pair of outdated jeans or pants that are just a little bit too short. If weather permits, a knee-length plaid skirt is ideal.
- If you don’t wear glasses, pick up a pair of cheap non-prescription “nerd” glasses. Black or tortoise shell square frames are a good choice.
- For longer hair, tie it into a side ponytail, bun, or pigtails. If you have shorter hair, wear it messy to give you that I-haven’t-brushed-it-in-days kind of look.
- Accessorize! Go for a thin headband and maybe a Hello Kitty watch. Use your own backpack. If you don’t have one, get a wide strapped backpack to carry around and make sure the straps are tied tightly.
- Include white socks and oxford shoes or sneakers to complete this look.
Where to Buy:
You don’t have to spend a ton of money to pull off this look. Visit your local Dollar Store or thrift shop to where you will find most of these items. If you do happen to have a little wiggle room in your budget, check out your local Big Box store. Often times, these stores have a school uniform section where you can pick up a few items for relatively cheap.
How to Rock Your Braces:
Braces are the perfect touch for this nerd girl costume. To make the look really pop, invest in multicolored rubber bands and don’t forget to smile – awkwardly.
The Tooth Fairy – This tongue-in-cheek costume can be for guys or for girls, because who knows what the tooth fairy really looks like?
What You’ll Need – For Guys:
- Channel your inner Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson with this quirky costume idea! First, get a plain white t-shirt and cut the sleeves off.
- Get creative! Write the words “Tooth Fairy” in black marker or with fabric paint.
- Next, take a pair of white knee-high socks and if you can find a pair of ballet flats that fit, go for white, silver or pair with glitter. If you can’t find ballet flats, purchase a pair of white sneakers.
- Visit your local Halloween costume store and purchase a pair of big white fairy wings.
- To really make this costume pop, accessorize with a fairy wand and fuzzy white or pink headband.
What You’ll Need – For Girls:
- You have a little more room to play with in color and style.
- Find a pink leotard or unitard and pair it with a tulle skirt.
- Purchase a pair of opaque tights or pastel colored leggings and get a pair of comfy ballet slippers that match the color of the skirt.
- Make this costume super girly with a glittery tiara or crown and add a pair of wings. These can be transparent, white or even made of feathers.
- Accessorize with a sparkly pair of earrings, bracelets, and rings. You can even buy a small vial of glitter to dust yourself with on the way out the door.
Where to Buy:
You can find many of these items from big box stores like Walmart and Target. Most of these places will have fairy costumes that you can buy. You can also check out your local dance uniform store for leotards, tutus, ballet slippers, and more! If you can’t find a store like this in your area, try buying online.
How to Rock Your Braces:
Your braces add the perfect final touch to this costume! If you’re a guy, pink rubber bands adds the perfect level of comedy to this costume. If you’re a girl, really go for the feminine aspect of this costume by pairing your braces with a bold lip – either glossy pink lipstick or a deep red.
Be Smart About Your Oral Health This Halloween
A final word of wisdom for anyone with braces tempted by the sugary deliciousness of Halloween candy. Braces cost a lot of money and different types of candy not only get stuck in your braces but can damage them, causing expensive repairs or replacements.
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, they highly recommend that you stay away from:
- Jelly Beans
- Hard Pretzels
- Bubble gum
Also, when it comes to costumes, be careful when you put on and take off any masks or accessories that can potentially harm your braces. This is supposed to be a fun time and the last thing that you want to do is have to tell your parents that your braces you’ve ruined your braces.
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today!
If your child needs braces or you’re interested in improving your smile, contact Doctor Andy’s office to schedule your free consultation. Doctor Andy will examine your teeth and discuss your personal smile goals and options. You’ll be given information about financing, different types of braces, and much more! Give us a call today at (800) 842-8015 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay connected with Doctor Andy on Social Media!